Sunday, December 16, 2012

Sweet Chili Glazed Tofu


Sweet Chili Glazed Tofu

I think I was in college when my mom and I discovered America's Test Kitchen on TV.  I loved that show and even programmed my tv/vcr to record the episodes for me when they aired on Saturdays.  (Doesn't that seem like ancient technology now, haha!).  Now you can watch all of the episodes on their website.  One thing that I haven't always liked about America's Test Kitchen is that their recipes aren't necessarily healthy.  Sometimes the best of a certain recipe is not at all healthy, unfortunately!  The America's Test Kitchen Healthy Family Cookbook came out around the time that Mark and I were planning our wedding and creating a registry.  I was so happy to receive this book as a gift because it is awesome!  I try to limit the number of cookbooks I have, but this one is worth it.  I've found a lot of great recipes in it and I like that they are all semi-healthy.

Mark has said that this is his favorite tofu recipe.  I'm not sure if it's my favorite, but it's definitely in the top three!  I've made it many many times in the last year and a half.  One thing to note is that this method of cooking tofu is great even if you don't use this particular glaze.

Sweet Chili Glazed Tofu 

Serves 4 

INGREDIENTS:

Tofu

  • 14 ounces extra firm tofu (if it's packed in water, wrap the block of tofu with towels and press out the water before making this recipe)
  • 3/4 cup cornstarch (you won't use all of it)
  • 1/4 cup cornmeal (you won't use all of it)
  • black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons coconut oil or canola oil 

Glaze

  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 cup rice vinegar
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 5 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tablespoon sriracha (or less if you don't like it spicy)
  • 2 teaspoons cornstarch

DIRECTIONS:

1)  For the tofu: Cut into 12 "fingers/slabs". 

2)  Whisk the cornstarch and cornmeal together in a shallow dish.  Season the drained tofu with a bit of black pepper.  Working with a few pieces at a time, coat the tofu thoroughly with the cornstarch mixture, pressing to help it adhere.  Save the extra cornstarch/cornmeal mixture in a container in the fridge until the next time you make this recipe (it should last basically forever).

3)  Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering.  Carefully lay the tofu in the skillet and cook until crisp and lightly golden on all sides, 10 to 12 minutes (turn every few minutes to brown all sides.)

4)   For the glaze: Whisk all glaze ingredients and then pour into the skillet with the tofu.  Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat and cook until syrupy and reduced, about 2 minutes.

5)  Serve over cooked rice/bulgar/quinoa, with veggies of choice on the side (my go-to is kale that is sauteed for a few minutes in a bit of olive oil and lots of spices).

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!

Pin It button on image hover