Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Thai Chicken Pizza


I first had this type of pizza at the Bryn Mawr dining hall back in college.  I remember whenever I would be over there for a class or music lesson around lunch time I got so excited that I got to have this type of pizza for lunch! It is also a type of pizza served at California Pizza Kitchen.  This recipe is one that I have basically made up based on the various times I have had it and other recipes I have seen.  If you like Thai food, specifically peanut sauce, you will probably love this pizza.  It's a nice variation on the normal pizza with red sauce and I highly recommend it (and so would a lot of others who have tried it)!


Like with my other pizzas, I tend to use a ball of pizza dough that I've made from my sourdough starter.  You can use any pizza dough that you like of course.  This is a whole wheat recipe that I like.  Trader Joe's makes good pizza dough as well that they have in the refrigerated section by the prepared foods.  The great thing about pizzas is that they can easily be modified and still taste great.  Feel free to leave off the chicken and increase the amount of vegetables if you want a vegetarian pizza.

Thai Chicken Pizza

yield: 1 14-inch pizza (serves 4 with a salad on the side)

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 ball pizza dough (see note above; if it's been in the freezer, put it in the fridge the night before)
  • 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter (I use natural peanut butter)
  • 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1-2 teaspoons sriracha (depending on how spicy you want it)
  • 1 large boneless, skinless chicken breast (about 1/2 pound), cut into small, bite-sized pieces
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 red bell pepper, julienned
  • 1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
  • 1 bunch scallions, sliced (green and white parts)
  • 1 large handful bean sprouts
  • 1 large handful part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
  •  chopped peanuts (optional)

DIRECTIONS:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!

Pin It button on image hover