Friday, March 8, 2013

Menu for March 10, 2013 through March 16, 2013

Daylight savings time this weekend!  Though I will miss that hour of sleep, I'm looking forward to having the light even later in the day!

There are a few interesting food related things that have caught my attention in the last week:
  1. America's Test Kitchen has a recipe for a vegetarian alternative to fish sauce that uses mushrooms!  This means many Thai dishes could be made vegetarian.  I wonder it this would be a way to lower the sodium in Thai dishes as well?  I'm definitely going to try this at some point.
  2. I've known about chia seeds for awhile and have added them to oatmeal, smoothies, etc. occasionally, but I haven't been that into them.  This "chia fresca" drink looks very strange, but I think I want to give it a try!  I don't know how I'll feel about the texture...?
  3. This "life changing loaf of bread" seems to be showing up all over the food blog world this week.  How can you not be intrigued by a bread called "life changing"?!  It looks super cool too.  Once I find some psyllium seed husks, I will give it a try.  Now, where to find psyllium seed husks.... 
Not related to food... I recently read the book The Fault in Our Stars.   It's a very popular young adult book that I somehow don't remember hearing about until a few weeks ago.   I found the book very well written and thought-provoking.  Both sad and funny. I couldn't put it down!   I'm looking forward to checking out some other books by the author.   If you haven't read it you should check it out!

On the menu for you this week is one repeat and three new recipes to try.  Spicy chickpea veggie burgers are great on their own, but add a poached egg, avocado, and a bit of cheese and if you've got an awesome burger.  Creamy vegetable chowder gives you loads of vegetables in a comforting way,  and is the perfect meal to have with crusty bread.  Also, sesame-crusted salmon with a teriyaki glaze is quick to make, and quite tasty!   Finally, the lemony chickpea stir-fry from the first menu on the blog is also on this week's menu.  I always forget how much I like that meal until I have it and then wonder why I don't make it more often!

Speaking of old menus, take a look at the menu archive page if you haven't recently-- I added pictures!

I'm working on a vegetarian lasagna recipe for next week.  Any other recipe requests?

Dinners for the Week

Sunday:  Spicy Chickpea Veggie Burgers with toppings of choice and a salad on the side.
  •  Make the full recipe and eat half tonight, have the leftovers on Wednesday
Spicy Chickpea Veggie Burgers


Monday: Creamy Vegetable Chowder with bread on the side.  Sourdough perhaps?
  • Make the full recipe and eat half tonight, have leftovers on Thursday
Creamy Vegetable Chowder











Tuesday: Lemony Chickpea and Vegetable Stir-Fry
  • Make the full recipe and eat half tonight, have leftovers on Friday
Lemony Chickpea and Vegetable Stir-Fry










Wednesday: Leftover Spicy Chickpea Veggie Burgers

Thursday: Leftover Creamy Vegetable Chowder

Friday:  Leftover Lemony Chickpea and Vegetable Stir-Fry

Saturday: Sesame Crusted Salmon with a Teriyaki Glaze with sides of choice (vegetable and cooked grain/bread)
  • Make half the recipe
Sesame Crusted Salmon with a Teriyaki Glaze

Have a great week!  And enjoy those lighter evenings!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!

Pin It button on image hover