This meal is a bean puree (cooked beans, milk, and spices that are blended) that is topped with a portobello mushroom, zucchini, and tomatoes tossed in some olive oil and spices. I made some that were also topped with mozzarella cheese (as shown above). Both versions turned out great!
FYI- This meal is gluten free and vegetarian. If you leave off the mozzarella cheese, it is also vegan.
Roasted Mushrooms and Zucchini on White Bean Puree
- 4 large portobello mushrooms caps, stemmed
- 1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 6 cloves garlic, minced and divided
- 1/2 cup unsweetened plain almond milk (or skim milk but then it won't be vegan)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper (if you don't have white pepper, you can omit or use more black pepper)
- 2 14.5 ounce cans Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped (I used "tomato on the vine" tomatoes and I did not seed the tomatoes)
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced [omit or leave off of some of the mushrooms to make vegan]
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Place mushroom caps, gill sides down, in a single layer on a baking sheet (it's best if the baking sheet has sides as the vegetables will release liquid). Drizzle with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil and rub the oil into the mushrooms. Once the oven has preheated, bake the mushrooms for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine 1/2 tablespoon olive oil and sliced zucchini.
- Remove the mushrooms from the oven and turn them over. Sprinkle mushrooms with 1/8 teaspoon of salt and half of the minced garlic. Layer zucchini slices over the mushrooms (you will need to make more than one layer). It's okay if the zucchini falls off a bit.
- Bake for another 6-10 minutes until zucchini is cooked.
- While the zucchini and mushrooms cook, combine 1/4 teaspoon salt, remaining garlic, almond milk, black pepper, white pepper, beans, parsley, and thyme in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Then, reduce heat and simmer for 3-5 minutes on low heat. Finally, transfer bean mixture to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, combine 1/8 teaspoon salt, oregano, and tomatoes in a small bowl and set aside.
- Once the mushrooms and zucchini are cooked, top with sliced mozzarella cheese as desired. Return to oven for 2 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Divide puree among plates. Place mushrooms on the puree. Top with the tomato mixture. Serve immediately.