Monday, April 1, 2013

Homemade Soymilk

Homemade Soymilk | katesfoodfortheweek.blogspot.com

I grew up LOVING regular skim cows milk.  It was not uncommon for me to have more than one glass of milk at dinner.  Then during college I got hooked on using the plain Silk soymilk that they had in the dining hall on my cereal.  It definitely didn't taste like "regular" milk, but it was creamier and I came to really like the taste.  It was around that time that soymilk was starting to become more popular and mainstream as a dairy milk alternative and "health food".  Now it is super easy to find lots of brands and varieties of soymilk in pretty much every grocery store.  

Soymilk is great for a couple of reasons.  One, it has the same amount of protein per cup as dairy milk.  Most other non-dairy milk alternatives (almond milk, coconut milk, rice milk), have basically no protein.  It can also have less natural sugar than cows milk (if you get the unsweetened kind!).  Also, dairy doesn't work well for a lot of people.... it can cause digestive problems and skin problems.  I've done some reading recently and learned that most everyone develops some degree of lactose intolerance as they get older (since we no longer need to be able to process milk like we did when we were babies).  So, soymilk is a great alternative, in theory.

Unfortunately, most of the soymilk that is sold is full of not so great ingredients.   Many brands use soybeans that are genetically modified, which doesn't exactly feel natural and healthy.  Then, a few months ago I discovered carrageenan, an ingredient in almost all soymilk brands (and some other non-dairy milk brands, and also many ice creams) that has been linked to digestive/colon problems.    The more I read, the more bad information I found and the more frustrated I became that it is in so many "healthy" foods.  Even Silk Organic Unsweetened soymilk has carrageenan in it!


I immediately stopped buying foods with carrageenan.  I found that there are a couple of brands of soymilk that have varieties without it.  One is Edensoy:


Another is WestSoy:

These are both great types of soymilk to buy.  Unfortunately, they are harder to find and not cheap!  They are usually about $2.69 for a quart.  So, with all of this information, I started looking into making my own soymilk.  What I found is that it is not that hard to do!  It does NOT taste like Silk soymilk, but that's because it's just made with soybeans and water so I think that should be expected.  I typically like to have soymilk on my oatmeal or cereal, so the taste really doesn't bother me (and it's actually growing on me!).  All you need is organic soybeans, water, and a way to strain (a nut milk bag or cheesecloth with fine mesh strainer).  With a bunch of soybeans, you are set for awhile.

Homemade Soymilk

yield: 4-6 cups (how long you cook it will impact how much it reduces)
time: 9+ hours (active time is about 30 minutes)

Step 1:  Put 1/2 cup organic soybeans in a bowl and cover with cold water.  Let sit for at least 8 hours.  Doing this in the morning has worked out the best for me (it takes less than one minute to do).  If the room is warm/hot, put the bowl with the water/beans in the refrigerator.

Step 2:  After 8+ hours, strain and rinse the beans and take out any loose peels.  Don't feel like you need to peel every bean.  Put the beans in a blender with 3 cups of cold water.

Homemade Soymilk | katesfoodfortheweek.blogspot.com

Step 3:  Blend for about 2 minutes.  It will look like milk!  But at this point it will taste very "raw".

Homemade Soymilk | katesfoodfortheweek.blogspot.com

Step 4: Put the mixture into a medium pot with 3 more cups of cold water.  Turn heat to medium-high and slowly bring to a boil (this will take a while).  Foam will start to form on the top.  Use a spoon to remove it to a bowl (to discard).

Homemade Soymilk


Step 5:  Watch carefully, because when it comes to a boil it will quickly rise up and overflow the pot (see picture below).  Remove pot from the heat and turn the heat down to medium when it does this.  Remove any additional foam.  Then, return pot to the heat and let soymilk simmer for 30 minutes (you should see it bubbling, but shouldn't need to be watching it at this point).

Homemade Soymilk | katesfoodfortheweek.blogspot.com

Step 6:  After 30 minutes (or more),  turn off the heat.  Pour one cup of cold water into the soymilk.  Pour the soymilk through the nut milk bag (or cheese cloth lined fine mesh strainer) into a bowl (ideally a bowl that can pour easily).  Strain out all the milk.

Homemade Soymilk | katesfoodfortheweek.blogspot.com

Step 7:  It is very hot, so hang the bag if possible while it cools (I hang it on the handle of one of my cabinets).  Once cool,  use your  hands to squeeze out any additional milk.  If using cheese cloth and a fine mesh strainer, just let strain for 30 minutes or so.  The leftover "pulp" is called okara.  You can discard it, or use it in another recipe.  This article is 30 years old, but has a lot of okara recipes.  I save it in the freezer until I have a bunch and then make something.  

Homemade Soymilk | katesfoodfortheweek.blogspot.com

Step 8:  Sweeten with some sugar/maple syrup if desired (I usually don't bother).  You can drink soymilk hot or cold.   In other countries, making soymilk is common and people enjoy it hot.  I've tried it and it's not bad!  I typically just have soymilk with my oatmeal or in smoothies.  Store in the refrigerator for 3-7 days.  

Homemade Soymilk | katesfoodfortheweek.blogspot.com

(recipe adapted from kiss my spatula)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!

Pin It button on image hover